Thursday, June 20, 2013

NYC.....what is it about you?

This first week has nearly flown by but at the same time has not felt rushed at all - which is exactly what I wanted. Like any holiday or break you take it can take a day or so to unwind from the stresses of normal life and just relax....

My first full day I decided to just walk around and reacquaint myself with the city I have long held a love affair with. I was not wanting to push my way way through the hustle and bustle of tourists in Time Square (there is nothing fun or relaxing about that) so I decided that heading downtown to the Village (Greenwich Village) was exactly what I needed. Staying on 27th St it was a pleasant walk taking me through a variety of neighbourhoods as I meandered my way down. It was feeling really good to be back, as if I had never left. I finally arrived at Washington Square and perching on a bench opposite the fountain I was reminded of the lyric from Sweet Charity...

'Run to the Bronx or Washington Square, no matter where I run, I meet myself there....'

and in this moment it was very true. I sat and all the thoughts I had been trying to block out, trying to stop overwhelming me, came rushing in, as by stopping I had opened the door for them. No matter where you go you can't escape your problems and worries. Not that I was trying to do that by coming here. Coming to NYC was to remove myself from everything and just take a time out and try and get some perspective. So I decided while sitting on that bench that I was not going to be sad for my trip, I was not going to let things get me down nor would I ignore them, but in that moment I decided I was just going to enjoy being in this city, being on a holiday....just being. Taking in everything around me, relaxing and then seeing what happens at the end. So I stood up, walked out of Washington Square taking the first steps on my new journey.....


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...