Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Home Town

One of the things that inspired me to start up this blog again last year, is the inspirational musings of the very talented Al Silber (follow her blog here http://alexandrasilber.blogspot.com/). Al recently wrote a blog on her home town; Birmingham, Michigan. So I thought I would 'borrow' her idea and tell you all about my home town, Perth.


Perth - the most isolated city in the world, no, really. There are many people that come here and complain that it's doesn't have the hustle and bustle and bright lights of a big city, actually they complain about everything (which begs you to ask why they are here in the first place?). True it's a lot more laid back than a lot of places, but I think if they took their blinkers off and had a really look, they would find many hidden treasures to this city. These are a few of my favourites things (pun intended)......


1. Beaches
We have some of the most beautiful, tranquil beaches sweeping our West Australian coastline, that are right on our doorstep! It's only a short trip from door step to ocean for a lot of people and even driving along the coast during the winter you marvel at the scenery!




2. Fremantle
Fabulous, laid back, coastal 'town' which comes to life on the weekend with it's laid back attitude, great markets and fishing boat harbour among many things...




3. The Ellington
Groovy, New York style, jazz club with fantastic artists....and also the location of my Wedding reception:)




4. Milk and Honey
Cafe in Northbridge on James Street - I love this place! Great food, friendly staff, quick and efficient service, reasonable prices and most importantly,,, they make a good hot chocolate!
5. Restaurants
Coco's, Red Cabbage, Cheers, Merchant, Cicerello's, Duende, Funtastico, King St, Zafferano
6. Kings Park
A great place for a picnic with friends or loved ones with spectacular city views. Also a relaxing city get away to lay in the sun and read a book, walk thru the botanical gardens or just enjoy the outdoors in the middle of the city!




7. South Perth Foreshore
My favourite place in the world - you don't get a better view than that!




8. Wanneroo Royal Botanical Gardens Mini Golf
I LOVE mini golf......what can I say? it's one of my guilty pleasures! That and an ice cream on a hot day - what could be better! And this is definitely my fave course in Perth!
9. Weather
Anyone who has ever been to Perth will understand! Just beautiful! Except for maybe when they predict cyclones that never arrive......I think the next cyclone should be called 'Godot'......
10. Swan Valley
having dozens of wineries a short drive away is always a handy thing...and a nice outing on the weekends!
11. Driving Down South
Being able to jump in the car....when I actually have time off (what's that you ask???) and in less than 2 hours, due to the new freeway, be in Australind visiting my Dad and then heading down to all the beautiful places in the South of Western Australia - Busselton, Margaret River (which also has it's abundance of wineries), Yallingup, Dunsborough, Pemberton, Denmark, Albany...the list goes on....
12. His Majesty's Theatre
The oldest theatre in Perth - built in 1904 - and my place of employment as a Front of House Manager for the last 3 years as well as a Performer. Such a beautiful building with such a rich history of the arts in our city....and to think they nearly tore it down!




13. Rottnest
Our little island get-away - I definitely do not go there as much as I should, but it's great to know I can jump on a Ferry at Fremantle and in 30mins be on an island, surrounded by beautiful bays and beaches, the odd pub and cute quokkas!




I must admit I have strayed from this city I loved, I have given in to the temptation of places like Sydney and London and no doubt I will do it again, but every time I am away, it really makes me appreciate and love Perth, just that bit more, and I know I can always come home.


I would like to end with a quote from Al that I think sums everything up perfectly;

'I recently had an incident with a several people who were very negative about Detroit, spoke of it with an almost savage, desparaging, flippant dismissal; as if there was nothing of merrit to see or do, spoke as if the people there were foresaken members of a larger American society.

I beg you, reader: be kind to everyone about their hometown. Everyone is from somewhere-- even Detroit, Hull, Queens and Bagdhad! If someone tells you they are from somewhere, that they grew up somewhere, that their days were formed and shaped in a place, be respectful for no greater a reason than that. Ask how they felt about it, ask about their favorite memories, places, their views on the merits and downfalls. You may be surprised. Enlightened. You might even learn something. '

and now, enough idea stealing and onto some more random ramblings......

2 comments:

Vic said...

Brilliant Sherry. I love it!

Sherry said...

Thank you:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...